Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unsure

The scariest question I have been asked lately regards my future. Grandparents, aunts, uncles and even customers at Starbucks have been constantly asking me what I want to “become.” It is such a profound question that I doubt people even realize how incredibly overwhelming it is to hear. “Becoming” something alludes to getting a well respected career that changes the world, while making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and has a decent dental plan. So unless I become the first woman President of the United States or create the next Facebook, the expectations of others will probably not get met. Which is unfortunate for them, but not for me. “Becoming” something should not connote a wise career path or the tangible result of a well-planned life. To “become” suggests growth has concluded and one has reached the final stage of development. I do not ever want to “become,” I want to thrive and flourish as long as my bones and brain allow, then I will have “become” something: accomplished. Until I can figure out a one sentence synopsis of what I want to “become” without sounding like a delirious hippie, I will simply smile and say, “I’m not sure.” I am okay with that for now. 





Sate
v.
to satisfy fully or to excess

Saturnine
adj.
having a gloomy or morose temperament

No comments:

Post a Comment