Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Let's Stay Together

     “Let’s Stay Together” by Al Green was once my favorite song. I used to play it over and over again while studying or talking on the phone with my love. I understood every lyric and hummed softly to the laid back rhythm of a very common love story. Now, after a life changing break-up and fully grasping the meaning of a “broken heart,” I cannot tolerate the once soothing sound of “Let’s Stay Together.”


    Never before have I heard this song played on the radio or a television commercial or even randomly selected on my Iphone, until now. I hear this song everywhere and it is driving me insane. I was at my hair salon on Friday, waiting to get my hair shampooed and suddenly over the radio I hear those signature horns and a soft voice whispering, “Let’s Stay Together.” All I could do was sit there in agony praying that the rushing water over my ears would drown out the song, and protect my mind from reliving every memory connected to those lyrics. My prayers were not answered and I sat in a cold chair holding back tears while my hairstylist blew warm air on my face from the hairdryer. At least the bursts of air dried my watery eyes. That was not the last time I heard the song, I accidently heard it twice today on my Iphone and it was also a suggestion on my Itunes account. So many incredible times were created because of this song, like slow dancing in a dorm room at 3 a.m. on our first anniversary. Perhaps that is the reason why I cannot bear to listen to it. “Let’s Stay Together” will continue to woo audiences just as it wooed me because it is a timeless record of human emotion and the bonds of love. Although it haunts me now, I hope one day I can fall back into love with it and reconnect with a song so full of honesty and passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment