Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Virtuous Living

         Today in Classical Political Thought with Dr. Peter, I experienced a beautiful lecture. It was about Confucius and Mencius’s ideas of virtue and leadership. One cannot be a great leader unless he/she demonstrates true, virtuous principles. Etiquette, manners, politeness and education are major themes of living a virtuous life and suddenly I felt emotional. I had an epiphany, I suppose. I realized that I want to be more steadfast in my principles, even when it is difficult. Staying true to goodness is probably the most difficult choice people make but it is the right choice. These virtues are not created overnight, they require discipline and wisdom that I will only acquire over time.
Dr. Peter told the class of how his education gained the respect of his future father-in-law. His girlfriend’s father wanted to meet him alone for lunch before he gave them his blessing for marriage. Dr. Peter was nervous at first because he was not the “nice Asian boy” that tradition deemed acceptable but one important and unchangeable virtue saved him: education. Dr. Peter told his future father-in-law about his world class education at Stanford and Princeton then suddenly his fear melted away. He was now acceptable to marry the man’s daughter for his education proved virtuous and disciplined. I am not saying that a Doctorate from Princeton is worthy of being virtuous but it was Dr.Peter’s ambition and drive that impressed his wife’s father. While he retold the story, his face lit up and he began to pace nervously. It was endearing seeing a brilliant man speak with such excitement and honor for his wife.
I realized that etiquette, manners and honesty are powerful faculties that I wish to hone but education is just as meaningful. Without an education, I am not a complete being. Perhaps some can live full lives without education but I cannot. Education will lead me to my happiness, it will keep me on the virtuous path that I create for myself. Today’s lecture was incredibly moving, for numerous reasons but most of all it gave me courage to believe in myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment